Taking The Long Way

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Last night when I went to coffee with Kissy-Kissy-Nine-Toes, I brought my poor beleaguered husband and three little boys with me. JJ doesn't get out as much as I would like, plus he's is a lot of fun to hang out with.

The boys? Not so much.

Normally the two older boys bring their game boys and all of their games to keep themselves occupied. We also keep them plied with candy. The baby is happy to climb under the table picking at leftover gum and eating the Bribes candy. Thus a three hour coffee with children can be a fun experience.

Unfortunately, Friday night was not so fun. A few days ago, Rainbow Man was not paying attention to what he was doing and dropped his almost two hundred dollar Nintendo ripoff DS on the floor.

It's not broken, but because we have been trying to make him understand he is responsible for the machine and keeping it working order, which includes making sure he charges it when it is low, we took his DS away for one week. Might seem harsh, but this is about the fiftieth time he has dropped it.

Blue Boys' DS was found under the kitchen table during supper and was removed from his possession for two days. Even at four, he knows that when he is done playing he must put it in the TV cabinet so the babies cannot get at it. His was taken away for two days.

So no Gameboys to occupy them during coffee, but we still had the Bribes candy, right?

Wrong.

JJ and I have one really strict rule at our home. Eat your meal or no snacks. Both Rainbow Man and Blue Boy "gagged" and whined and there were even some genuine tears Friday night when they came to the table and were faced with the dreaded potato. Evil, Evil things those potatoes, out to rule the world one child at a time!

I warned them that we were going for coffee, no snacks if they did not clear their plate. Then I warned them again. And again. After almost an hour an a half, I asked them to clear their plates and wash up.

No snacks.

They whined when I gave the baby his candy, although not very much as I cannot stand ill behaved children in public, and they are very aware of the consequences when they piss off mommy when we are out. They begged a bit, and even tried to convince me to buy the treats for the next day when they did eat. I said no. So they asked their daddy. He also said no.

Sure, no gameboys and no candy made for a rather stressful coffee, but by giving them their DS's and the candy it would just make my life easier. And that's not our job.

As parents, sometimes we have to be firm and enforce the rules, yes, even if it does inconvenience us, because if we don't we will be bailing boys out of jail in a few years. I'm not saying I wasn't tempted to just let them have that stupid piece of gum for five seconds of quiet, but in the long run, those two hours of stress during coffee will result in better children.

It really is true that consistency IS the key with parenting. Maybe next time they will eat.

On the other hand, maybe we should not have played this video while supper was cooking...



***********
DDR:
Total Calories Burned Today: 201.354
Total Accumulative Calories Burned: 3671.228
Total Accumulative Miles Jogged: 47.544
***************

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Fantastagirl said...

Because of parents like you maybe there will be three less boys in jail in a few years. More parents need to do this, not take the easy way out, follow through with threats. Pan and Tink are learning this, and like your boys, don't necessarily like the results.

10:00 PM, February 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That video was funny! and I totally agree.....more parent's need to follow through!!!

10:48 PM, February 17, 2007  
Blogger Tug said...

You did good Blue...my daughter always said how tough I was. She's the same way today, & I take every opportunity I can to rub it in. ;-) She's an amazing person I'm very proud of!!

Your golden dick is up...

10:52 PM, February 17, 2007  
Blogger Shelli said...

Pretty funny. The video I mean.

They just did a segment on our local news about saying no to your kids and meaning it. It is so important to be firm and then follow through. Otherwise, someday, your child will have a child that they don't take care of very well and then you will want to take the baby and take care of it because you are frustrated with the way that they are parenting, but they will use the baby to control you so that you do whatever they want just so you can stay in the baby's life and protect him/her. I just think maybe that will happen.

5:16 AM, February 18, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sucks being a parent and having to follow through with those damn things called rules...somedays I just HATE the reponsibility.

Great video...just one questions what the hell are we suppose to eat now?? LOL

10:10 AM, February 18, 2007  
Blogger Bluepaintred said...

Fantastagirl heh they deffinatly dont like the results ! thankfully i found boxes! to play with! BOXES! HOW FUN. Now they only ask for their gameboys back sixteen times an hour

FlipFlopMomma I love the arrogent worms :O)

Tug That golden dick is hawt!

Shelli So how is belle? Over her flu?

Coffee Mom HAH wait till i play the cow video

1:39 PM, February 18, 2007  
Blogger Webmiztris said...

good for your for showing them who's boss....not enough parents do!!

5:46 PM, February 18, 2007  
Blogger Bluepaintred said...

Mr.Fab so first you call me funny, then goofy? What would you do if i started calling YOU names??

MizWeb plus i make them make thier own breakfast. next year RM is learning to make coffee god dammit

7:37 PM, February 18, 2007  
Blogger Lynda said...

OMG!!

I was going to go on and on about how you sound like the type of parent my husband should see in public instead of the ones that always give in.

But that video!! When my sister was vegetarian, and she would go on and on about eating meat, I use to ask her if she knew that a head of lettuce screams when they cut it from the ground. HAHAHAHAAHA!

That's what that video reminded me of.

10:02 AM, February 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home