Teh 411

Monday, December 03, 2007

A long, long, long time ago, when I was in grade four, I had gone on a school day trip somewhere. I cannot remember where, but on that trip I had gotten my little brother a very tiny glow in the dark dinosaur. And then I promptly forgot I had bought it.

Just before bedtime, in a panic I remembered about the dinosaur and it seemed like the most important thing in the world that he have it before going to bed. It was downstairs in my room and I was upstairs, so I ran fast fast splat to the bottom of the stairs.

The floor was concrete and the steps were wooden. There was a telepost at the bottom of the stairs - a metal support pole thingy. I hit my head on the telepost *insert so thats what happened joke here* and hurt both of my wrists at some point on the way down the stairs. I suspect it was the splat part.

Sigh. I just spent an hour looking for the picture taken of me after the fall and cannot find it. You will have to use your imagination.

So what does me falling down a set of stairs ages and ages ago have to do with my "ow" last night? Well it's simple. I cannot follow directions. At all. If you tell me to do something, it's like a mental block forms and all I hear is static.

I was told to do a billion and one different strengthening exercises for my wrists. But they were hard to do so I simply did not do them. And not doing them had consequences. I have zero strength in my wrists, I cannot lift a small pot full of water without using two hands. And even then, by the time I get from the sink to the stove - about a foot and a half away, or two steps, my arms are shaking from the effort.

And then there is the joint pain.

Last night I was doing the dishes and Rainbow Man asked me what was wrong with my arm. I had it cradled against my chest and was doing things one handed, and yet I hadn't even realized it was hurting. This wold have been the opportune time for me to have taken some pain meds and wrapped my wrist, but instead I finished the dishes.

You see, when it starts, it's just a dull achy feeling.

After the dishes, I played bubble shooter with my opposite hand until the children went to bed and then we watched a movie - Live free; Die Hard - excellent, by the way.

About five minutes into the movie, my elbow started to hurt. I really should have wrapped my arm and taken the pills at this point, but I figured if I just rubbed it, the Ow would go away.

It always starts at the wrist joint, and then the bone in my forearm will start to ache. When I actually use my brain, I have taken pills and wrapped it before my elbow starts to ache, but last night it went right to the shoulder before my brain kicked into gear. Half way through the movie I took the pills, but it was too late.

When it gets this bad, I do not have the strength to wiggle my fingers of rotate my wrist. Last night I wasn't even able to hold my arm against my chest without supporting it with the other.

And so. No post. My bad.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

Sorry you have so much pain. I understand that remembering to take your pills for the pain thing. I have TMJ and it starts off at a managable level, but when let it get to bad, I get 4 days of very unbearable.

11:09 AM, December 03, 2007  
Blogger Sheila said...

I think you're making it all up.

(Just kidding. Glad its a little better today.)

12:16 PM, December 03, 2007  
Blogger Robin said...

Ouch!! No fun!

12:47 PM, December 03, 2007  
Blogger Marilyn said...

I'm glad you're enough better to type today. Take care of yourself. Without you, I'd have to get my own life.

3:10 PM, December 03, 2007  
Blogger carrie said...

ouch ouch ouch!!!!

4:10 PM, December 03, 2007  
Blogger Katie said...

Ouch! The big question is: did your brother love his gift? He'd better have! :D

6:36 PM, December 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home