Book Worms are better than Apple Worms

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Last night We got back from the dentist just in time to tuck the kids into bed. Rainbow Man was very amused at me trying to make a kissy face with my frozen lips. Finally we agreed that as long as my lips touch his face, it counts as a kiss no matter how funny it looks.

As soon as all three kids were in bed I took a pain pill left over from my surgery last summer. I don't take drugs for a reason.

I decided that a video post would be a great idea. Uhm. No. I watched it this morning and deleted it. There was a lot of drool, and the left side of my face did not move the whole time. I had not realized my nose had started bleeding again, so there was blood*. Add that to the fact that I can't figure out what the hell I was saying on the video, I decided it was best to just get rid of it.

Besides, I knew Avitable would make fun of me.

I stole this from Shelli because I like books and they like me.


1. Hardback or trade paperback or mass market paperback? If it is a book that I know I will be reading again and again, I love a good hardcover. However, I find hardcover books really difficult to read in the bath so I usually get paperback. Plus, they are way cheaper!

2. Amazon or brick and mortar? (buying on line or in a store?) I prefer to get them from family, but when they are bought they aren't bought online. We do not have Credit Cards. Credit Cards are evil.

3. Amazon or the Co-Op Bookstore.? If a book contains all of the pages, I will read it, old or new. I don't care if all of the pages are still in the binding, as long as they are all there.


4. Barnes & Noble or Borders? I have not shopped at either. I prefer a bookstore called Westgate Book. Why pay seven bucks when you can pay fifty cents?

5. Bookmark or dog ear? "Bookmark. Who dog ears their books. Shame on you!" <- that's wat Shelli said. Think she will spank me when I say that I dog ear my books, sometimes ripping off the dog ear corner, sometimes i fold the page up like a fan or an airplane, and if it is a really old book I know I won't be reading again, and that it has passed the family rounds, I will tear each page out as I read.

Did anyone notice that Shelli doesn't have numbers six through eleven done? I found them over at Lynda's Great Journey. What a lifesaver!
Hmm. Lynda's Meme is not exactly like Shellis', but pretty close. these six questions will fill in the blank nicely I think!

Science Fiction, Fantasy or Horror? Fantasy and Horror. I love suspense and I love dragons and fairies and magic. I also like books with a lot of sex in them.

Hitchhiker or Discworld? I do not know what discworld is, but I love Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. One of my all time favorites!

Asimov’s Science Fiction or Fantasy & Science Fiction? Fantasy. I could never get into Asimov. Love Ray Bradbury though.

Alphabetize by author, Alphabetize by title, or Random? I like to keep certain books in order, Dean Koontz, John Saul and Steven King, they are all separated by author and behind glass. My romance Novels are thrown all over the house.

Keep, Throw away or Sell? Keep if it is a book I love. Which means Dean Koontz or John Saul, give away if it is romance. I do not believe books should be sold for profit. They should be given to the masses becuase reading without a monitor is becoming a dying art.
Keep dust-jacket or Toss it?


12. Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket? Harry Potter ALL THE WAY. Harry Potter is hot. I think about him in a purely sexual way a lot sometimes. Him and Malfoy.

13. Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks? I stop reading whenever and whereever I damn well please. I often stop in the middle of words. I read while I smoke and the minute my hand hits to knob on the door to come inside I fold my page and put it down, no matter what part I am on. Chapter breaks are for wussies.


14. “It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”? It really depends on my mood. Fairy tales all have happy endings, and In my mind all romance books MUST have a happy ending. One time I started a book, got halfway through, her husband died, I flipped to the last chapter and she was still sad so I put it down and never finished it. I do not mind dark and stormy as long as the plot is good.


15. Buy or Borrow? I prefer to borrow, but will bu. very rarely do I pay full price for a book.

16. New or used? Either or, I don't care.

17. Buying choice: book reviews, recommendation, or browse. I buy according to the author. If Someone has lent me a book I will read it if it sounds good from the back. I don't read anything anyone recommends unless I already wanted to read it. Every person has different tastes!

18. Tidy ending or cliffhanger? Tidy ending. I remember reading the fourth or fifth book in a Terry Goodkind series and the last line of the book was "I'm here to kill Richard Rahl" I was SO mad, especially considering that the next book was not due for six to twelve more months!


19. Morning, afternoon or nighttime reading? When I am not online, I read. or sleep.

20. Stand alone or series? I prefer stand alone because I hate waiting for the next book to come out. Like say, Harry potter seven. Wonder what Malfoy is going to be up to in it? He leaves six in disgrace with his death mark and all. I bet he will be super hawt. Hopefully not dead though.


21. Favorite series? Harry Potter and the Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind.


22. Favorite book of which nobody else has heard? Hmmm. No guesses. Have you read So You Want To Be A Wizard? It's really good. I think I will read it again.


23. Favorite books read last year? I have probably ready a thousand books in the last year. Shit. Uhm. Nope Not going to choose.


24. Favorite books of all time? Ok. This is going to sound really weird. In grade seven we were assigned book one of a four book series. I liked it so much I read books two three and four in the library. I have no idea what they are called. It is about a boy and a girl who somehow (?) get magic abilities or realize they have them and start to fight evil. I think there are four things they find/look for in each book. Sigh. I don't know the author or the titles or really any of the plot so all my searches so far have come up empty. I know book two or was it three, takes place around water. I so SUCK.


I tag no one, but extend sincere congratulations to myself for being able to complete this Meme in what I hope is a rational way due to the fact that the pain pills have way kicked in and I am drooling again. Must.Sleep.


Random book fact : I like to tear off the corners of books, preferably very old ones and suck on them. Occasionally I swallow them, but mostly I spit them out when the flavor is gone.

*The bleeding was due to the root in the sinus thing where my nose was almost but not actually broken by the dentist who despite all of the agony of the nose pain and sixteen needles (I'm resistant to the anesthetic) I still love.

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Sheila said...

Oh! Oh! FIRST!!!!!

10:16 PM, May 29, 2007  
Blogger Sheila said...

and btw - I'd pay money to see that video, if I had any money, that is.

10:18 PM, May 29, 2007  
Blogger Marilyn said...

I like this meme... I love Fantasy. I've never read the wizard book you mentioned so it's going on my library list. If they don't have it I could buy it...

I want to tag myself. Is that okay?

12:03 AM, May 30, 2007  
Blogger Ashley Lasbury said...

I love Terry Goodkind. Have you tried Robert Jordan? He is my all time favorite fantasy author.

I am glad that you are feeling well enough to post.

5:34 AM, May 30, 2007  
Blogger Blogarita said...

I guess when I did this meme, it didn't include 6 through 11 either. But I definitely prefer fantasy over hard science fiction. I don't read it much anymore, but Marion Zimmer Bradley (Darkover Series) was my favorite.

5:44 AM, May 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah dammit, I want to see the video!!

6:47 AM, May 30, 2007  
Blogger Avitable said...

Are you kidding me? You didn't post the video? C'mon. C'mmmmoonnnnnn. C'mmmmmmmmmmmmmooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

6:54 AM, May 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Release the video!!!! Please? pretty please? with sugar? just for shits and giggles? PLEASE!!!!!

7:00 AM, May 30, 2007  
Blogger Megan said...

I want to see you drool too.

I dog ear once in a while when I can't find my bookmark. As long as they're not library books, it's all good!

8:16 AM, May 30, 2007  
Blogger Lynda said...

I mentioned to Shelli that I thought the one I did was a little different. What do books taste like?

Keep dust-jacket or Toss it? got lost with the Keep, Throw Away or Sell question. :)

8:16 AM, May 30, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

mmm Harry Potter is soooooo teh sex!

10:46 AM, May 30, 2007  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

Hmm. I might have to do one of these, at some point.

Also: if I enjoy a book, it's easy to tell - it's splattered in ketchup or wing sauce or beer, the binding is falling apart, the pages bookmarked to ridiculosity. Because ... if I enjoy a book, I tend to use it well.

11:21 AM, May 30, 2007  
Blogger Bluepaintred said...

Sheila You make me feel Loved, you know that right?

Sheila Trust me, it wasn't worth a penny!

Marilyn nope you cant tag your self, I hereby officially tag you.

LOL

One Tall Momma Robert Jorden eh? I will tr and remember that name next time I am in the book store.

11:39 AM, May 30, 2007  
Blogger Bluepaintred said...

Blogarita It's OK, we forgive you!

Slick Too Bad, So sad. It was not as funny as it sounds. I sounded like a cave man with drool fling and no recognizable words. Would have needed subtitles!

Avitable Not only did I not post it, But I deleted it too!

Metal Mom It's gone gone gone!

11:42 AM, May 30, 2007  
Blogger Bluepaintred said...

Finn I don't do library. Mostly because I lose them and then end up paying BIG fines

Lynda Books taste like the used bookstore smells. A little dusty, a little smoky, and .. I dunno, just nice. I love the smell of old books... makes sense to love the taste!

Christy Fine I admit it, sometimes Hermione makes her way in there too!

Malnurtured Snay True that Snay! All of my older books LOOK like they are older, the eat supper with me, bathe with me and go camping with me!

11:46 AM, May 30, 2007  
Blogger Webmiztris said...

lmfao! ok, girl...the eating the corners of book pages thing? SERIOUSLY FUCKED UP!!

ps. credit cards are only evil if you don't pay them off every month. as long as you pay off the full balance every month, they can't screw you over! :)

3:15 PM, May 30, 2007  
Blogger Shelli said...

I am really not sure what to do. On the one hand, I love you. But on the other hand, you tear off corners and sometimes eat them. I don't know how to make that work in my mind.

5:32 PM, May 30, 2007  
Blogger Todd said...

You eat your books? That's badass.

7:32 PM, May 30, 2007  
Blogger robkroese said...

Well, you certainly sound coherent. Sorry about the dental travails. I went in myself today, though just for a cleaning. I still hate it.

10:37 PM, May 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I beleive the books you are talking about are the "Witch Mountain" books, by Alexander Key. When you said that, it sounded so familiar, so I looked it up. I loved those too!

Photogal64 (no blog page, but I can be found on www.geocaching.com)

Enjoy!

7:03 PM, June 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home