Soap Boxes lead to Bubbles!

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

I got this comment in my inbox for my post on the superman movie. I thought it was excellent! I also wanted to give it the attention it deserved, as Dawn has two very valid points. So now that Dawn has hopped of her soap box, Im hopping on!

ablondeblogger said...


I hope you don't hate me for saying this, but there are two pet peeves of mine in this post, one is a HUGE one, the other not so much.

Okay, I didn't know Superman dies in this movie, so that spoiler was the little pet peeve.

But the biggest one I have is taking a sick kid to the movies. You have no idea how much it irks me when I find out that someone near us is sick...in church, in the grocery store, etc.

Especially in a place that someone doesn't HAVE to be at when they're sick.

And you probably know why. I could be sitting next to you, trying to enjoy the movie with my family.

If Natalie catches whatever your kid has, it means serious complications for her. We avoid the pool now because of it (since I know so many people bring their sick kids there....I overheard one dad talking about how his kids had been puking the night before and there they were swimming right along side mine!)

It's hard having a child with a serious illness and always worrying about whether or not they're going to catch a virus when we go out.

You never know who is around you...someone undergoing chemo who can't afford to get sick? Someone with a compromised immune system? Someone like my daughter?

So, I never take my kids out when they're sick for that reason.

Okay, stepping off my soap box! I hope I don't offend you...just wanted to give you my perspective and some food for thought from a mom who worries about these things.

(((((((HUGS))))))))

12:08 PM

*watch me hop* ok nevermind the hopping, ill just climb up. here is my reply :o)

I cant get mad at someone for being honest. You had two concerns, let me answer each.

Concerning the "spoiler".... I can't say much or it will get spoiled but I will say this:

Taking a four year olds veiws on what happened in a movie or real life is not really a good idea. If my MIL listened to said four yearold she would think they never eat bathe or sleep! Im not Sure how kids are able to alter their reality like this, but with each story I have been told by a kid, I have learned to take them with a grain of salt. And for those of you who like spoilers, the one pirate in The Pirates of the Caribbean movie that isnt out yet, its not a pirate its an octopus ghost and it eats brains.. I know this because my six year old saw a poster and told me so!


Concerning the Sick Kid. Thats a tougher one to explain. Let me start with this. For over two years, my husband, I, and Our two oldest boys have watched an episode of Smallville once a week. The boys lookforward to it, and so do we. When Superman Returns was first advertised we all jumped for joy.
Parker had a very tough school year, and when he passed, we decided to reward him with the movie. So parker has been looking forward to this movie since the begginning of June.
Also, we don't live in a place that actually has movie theatres, we live in a small town, we have to drive "into the city" . We organized a sitter for our youngest, packed up and left. Both childrent were fine and dandy. We got to the cuity and started to shop. Both kids were fine and dandy. We bought our tickets and returned to the mall portion and shopped some more. Again, both kids are feeling great. We sat in the airconditioned theatre for about an hour and Blake had to use the bathroom. While in the bathroom, he says he is feeling sick to his stomach I felt his forhead and took his temperature. He was only at 99, and I gave him tylonol and we sat for 15 minutes int eh bathroom and waited for it to work. Then we returned to the movie. off and on he complained he wasnt feeling good , but refused to leave the theatre with me. I was not about to make my husband and parker miss the movie, nor did I particularaly want to miss any more of it, exspecially after paying 63 bux for it.. So we stayed.

Now concerning children and adults with comprimized immunity. Not every person who carrys a germ has outward signs of illness. My sister has comprimised immune system, She takes care not to be caught in large crowds. It's the person (or their gaurdians) job to keep themselves safe from these sitiuations.

I highly doubt there are many parents who will take a still puking child out to the pool or the store. If they were sick the night before, its probably done with if they are out. Some illness' last only the night, next day you are feeling just fine.

Now, Maybe I have madew you mad, but your comment took courage to post due to the shear honesty of it! I really thought it deserved an equally honest response. We may have to agree to disagree on this, but he was not sick when we left, therefore I was not "taking a sick kid to the movies." Should I have left halfway thru just incase someone who knows they get ill easily decided to go to a crowded holiday weekend matenee? I don't think so!

and now, I am hopping off the soap box , gathering a hand full of bubbles (strawbery scented)
and throwing them at Dawn. Feel free to hop on the box people. Its sitting there all lonley an waiting!

12 Comments:

Blogger Catch said...

mmmm...I understand both sides.....there was nothing Paint could do about him getting sick after he had gone into the movies...I would have done just what she did. Also I can understand the worry of a Mother with a child with an auto immune deficiency, but to that I have to say....there are germs everywhere, the grocery store, the Mall, the Drs. office. You have to decide where it is safe to take your child. And of course you want to protect her,just as Paint would never intentionally do anything to make anyones child sick. I guess you have to decide if you think its safe for her to go to the movies, knowing full well that there may be children in there with the sniffles, or whatever. Most of the people I know that have taken chemo do not go into crowds at all when their immune system is low. I think its a risk for them to even go to the Drs office. This is a tough call...but you are aware of your childs immune deficiency, so at least you know what to avoid. And I realize she likes to go to the movies just like any other child...but maybe you could wait till its been played for a while and take her when it isnt so crowded.

3:50 PM, July 05, 2006  
Blogger Catch said...

I see the other pet peeve as I reread the post....now...yes Superman did die ( so Paint says) and blonde blogger didnt like knowing that ahead of time...now come on...we are all adults here....Paint burst your bubble! Well, Id say you just have to get over it. That is a rediculous thing to complain to Paint about. She was merely posting about her day with her children, and repeating a conversation with her son. GET OVER IT.

3:57 PM, July 05, 2006  
Blogger BlondeBlogger said...

LOL! Thanks, Blue! I'm so glad you weren't mad at what I said!

I didn't realize that he wasn't sick when you left...I apologize for that. That is a huge difference, and if he was already in the theater, whoever was there would've already been exposed, so I'm in total agreement with you.

I do disagree that if someone was puking the night before that they're no longer contagious. I read somewhere with stomach viruses that the actual germs can linger in your system for a couple of weeks.

Also, while it is the responsibility of those with compromised immune systems to be on guard and protect themselves, it would make it a LOT easier if the world worked with us and helped out a bit.

I don't think that your sister, or my daughter, should have to miss out on going to the movies, or other things in life like that.

There are large crowds everywhere, and if people were just courteous enough to not bring their children to those places (or themselves) when they're sick, it would help kids like my daughter to have a more normal life.

I mean, even for those with normal immune systems, it sucks having to come down with a nasty flu because some mom wanted to get out of the house that day and have her kid hack and cough all over everyone at the mall or something, you know?

So, I think we agree on the most part. And I love that we had this discussion! Thanks for bringing it up in a post!!!

((((hugs)))) (or should I say "higs" lol) ;)

4:09 PM, July 05, 2006  
Blogger Bluepaintred said...

catch 1&2: I had not even thought it might be a spoiler, but a persons pet peeve is a pet peeve, and why pull punches LOL, im totally in love with the fact that people can honestly experess themselves tho! I agree its kindo of a small thing to get upset about, its just a movie, but what if superman was really real? wouldnt that be cool? id totally kill lois lane and take over her body!

Dawn: yea I have issues with hUgs they are evil, higs used to be just a spelling error now its a hiug and a kiss, lol it helps me save fave... need a good explanation for "teh" tho.. any ideas?

4:33 PM, July 05, 2006  
Blogger BlondeBlogger said...

I did clarify by saying the movie thing was just a small pet peeve....it really was not that big of a deal.

But I love that you didn't take it the wrong way, Blue (as catch obviously did....there's nothing for me to "get over" because it was not that big of a deal thank you very much).

Not going to type what I really think about Catch's attitude since I don't know her. :) *zipping lips*

And for the record, my daughter has a metabolic disorder, but in the end, it's the same difference.

6:52 PM, July 05, 2006  
Blogger BlondeBlogger said...

And hmmm...suggestions for "teh" (which had me LingOL)....you could say it's one form of spelling the word the that is sometimes used in Canada. I bet there are a lot of dumb Americans that would believe it. :)

6:58 PM, July 05, 2006  
Blogger Catch said...

Blondeblogger: I did not mean to offend anybody...and I dont have an attitude. I fully understand about your daughters illness and your concern for her.

As far as Superman goes....I know Paint meant no harm.

8:48 PM, July 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I spent the first six months of my pregnancy sick with a never-ending series of colds due to the germs that my kids brought home from school. I can understand the fear of a parent with a chronically ill child, but I now have the philosophy that kids get sick sometime and it is how they build up their immunity. I don't drag a puking kid around town, but I also don't quarantine a kid with a cold. Got to agree with Blue on this one.

10:08 PM, July 05, 2006  
Blogger BlondeBlogger said...

Thank you, Catch. I know she didn't mean any harm, either, on both subjects.

Noh...I'm sorry you feel that way. If your child's cold came with a fever, would you still feel the same way? Even after the fever's gone, but the cold is still contagious?

I only ask because if your child were to come in contact with mine because you "refused to quarantine" him or her when they were sick, there would be serious reprecussions for my child.

You haven't been sitting in the ER when my daughter is lying there listless (she's 5) with her eyes rolling in the back of her head, her heartrate and breathing labored.

You haven't seen her vomitting so often and so severely from a simple cold/fever virus that she starts puking up blood and stomach lining.

You haven't seen her "quaranteened" in a hospital for days on end because someone exposed her to their illness.

And you haven't seen the endless hospital bills ($500 out of pocket for her last stay) that has taken a major toll on our finances.

And you haven't had to sit there crying over your child in the middle of the night, watching them breathe because you can't sleep and are afraid they're simply going to stop breathing because they're so sick.

Something tells me if you were ever in my shoes, you would change your mind.

10:51 AM, July 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone! Yippe...no conflict in blogland...I've got enough right here at home.

It was a great discussion though. Thanks to everyone else for sticking to your guns.

paint...sorry I scared you with my post title the other day. No one is hurt here, only a couple of Tour riders.

10:59 AM, July 06, 2006  
Blogger Catch said...

There is no conflict.

I was just defending Paint who I know wouldnt hurt a soul.

Blonde thought I had an attitude ( which I didnt ) but I think its all ok now. And blonde, I do understand the severity of your daughters illness and seriously sympathize with you. And Paint, your just a sweetheart who wouldnt hurt anyone!

1:30 PM, July 06, 2006  
Blogger Bluepaintred said...

wow they like me they really like me... lol this is the most comments i have ever had in one post!

i think we will all agree to disagree and catch you DO have an attitude, you have one of self confidance and loyalty , and that is something you should not change!

Dawn : I heart You and your family , and it sucks that nat gets so sick.

nohe, I will NOT stay at home just in case they might be a little germy they are kids and a lot of germs come from improper hand washing I carry antiseptic gell for when we are out in public. infact I am thinking of taking pics of everthing in my purse LOL but hell that would be a long long long post

ohtallone: there is a cat sitting on my mouse. this is sucky. but she is purring so I dont want to move her.
Im super impressed with the amount of honesty people put into this discussion!
__________________________

but its over now :o)
Deal with it!
LOL

1:41 PM, July 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home