Too Hard?

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Today my six year old son, Parker and his friend from accross the street, B, decided it would be a good idea to take the neighbours sprinkler - on - and set it inside her garage. Her drywall covered garage, her UNFINISHED drywall covered garage. B was the one who physically put it in the garage, But parker, IMHO is just as much at fault for not stopping B (4) not telling the woman what had happened, and not pulling the sprinkler out.

They just put it in, and left to play.

Did I mention the homeowner is a cop? She was so nice about it. Even laughed about how her truck got a washing. But still, if the drywall is ruined, thats a lot of money to replace it. Money WE would have to pay out. Money we simply do not have.

Parkers punishment included a severe talking too (this may have been the worst part, I told him that it is within her rights as a homeowner to call the cops if we don;t pay for damages, and that we can get arrested for what he did.) He was put to bed immediatly afterwards, only 30 minutes early but at that point I was so mad that I was afraid to keep talking to him,I have a bad temper, he is only six and they can only take so much berating.He has been grounded to the yard. Should he step one foot out of the yard, he will be grounded indoors. This punishment will last until Thursday when we leave for camping. He will also not ba able to play with B. He was not spanked, I was too mad to chance touching him.

Thank God she caught it in time. Hubster just got back with whats what. They saw it in time and turned it off, put up a bunch of fans to dry it out. We wont have to pay to replace it. But the punishment stands.

My mother inlaw believes we should "give him a six minute time out and forget about it" NO FREAKING WAY. If we let this go, next week he will be breaking windows and stealing cars! My inlaws believe I am being way to harsh on Parker. Saying I am being "borderline abusive", My father said we are being too light on him, saying we should have "beaten him to a pulp" (no he did not mean it the way it sounds, he means it in a way that we should ahve given him a spanking that made sitting hard for a day) I'm not sure if I am being too hard or too light on him, all I know is He knows better. I have told him about water in our garage ~ repeatedly. I have shown him with chalk and paper what happens when drywall gets wet. He KNEW that what he was doing was wrong.

help me out people .. Is this enough? Not enough? Just right??

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think its fair. However, I think the "beat to a pulp" would have been closer to what I would have done. I can't imagine how horrifying that would have been. Thank your stars there's no damage.
roxdar

9:39 PM, July 30, 2006  
Blogger Catch said...

I think you did the right thing....Im sure Parker will think twice about doing anything like that again. He is only 6 years old. Im sure he is upset that Mommy and daddy are so disappointed in him. There are times when they need spanked but I think you handled this well.

11:12 PM, July 30, 2006  
Blogger L said...

I squeezed one more day of internet connection in, just dropping by to give you hugs and kisses.

7:33 AM, July 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you did the right thing. I find that spankings don't really help, but if he has time to think about what he did and why it was wrong it'll help him think a little more when he does something else. Just aa added suggestion, if Parker gets an allowance maybe take that away for a little while so that he can learn the concept of money. And as for your inlaws comment, your punishment is NOT "boderline abusive", it's parenting.

8:10 AM, July 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you love the way everyone and his neighbor has advice about how to raise your kids. Drives me nuts.

Follow you heart, blue, and you and he will do just fine.

Glad to hear that you won't have to pay for damages. That would have sucked.

3:56 PM, July 31, 2006  
Blogger Teri said...

I think you did the right thing too. a six minute timeout would not have taught him anything. and we all know where spanking can get you when we're pissed off.

4:08 PM, July 31, 2006  
Blogger Fantastagirl said...

I am glad you don't have to pay for damages...and I would have been hopping mad...I was beyond mad when my son damaged my own couch - I can't imagine what you are going through - a cops garage? OUCH...

I think you know what is best for your son - you know what will leave a lasting impression - and I'm sure you know the difference between a beating and a spanking - grounding is good...we took away his new game and his computer (and he has no computer priviledges at daycare)

Good luck!

7:37 PM, July 31, 2006  
Blogger Webmiztris said...

sounds like you did the right thing to me. I never did get 'time-outs'. sitting in a chair for 6 minutes is simply NOT PUNISHMENT!

10:19 AM, August 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

she was a cop wow well i hope parker learns that water damages and well i am really glad you guys dont have to pay damages cause that would have sucked...
sponge bobber

11:31 AM, August 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say that you are the mom and you handled it wonderfully. Don't listen to everyone elses advice. It's your son and you know what's best for him. At 6, he's old enough to hear the consequences and get a little grounding. I think you handles it wonderfully!

5:04 PM, August 01, 2006  
Blogger Bluepaintred said...

RoxDar Oh trust me if there were damages to be paid i do beleive they would have come out of his hide!

CatchThanks for the vote of confidance catch!

LoriBut I already miss you!

KimNone of the kids gets an allowance, for two reasons, I am too lazy to give one out and I am too lazy tot ake them to a store to spend it.. ok then, for one reason, apperently I am lazy

One Tall Momma You rocked that test Momma! I know it! come October, we will see I am right!

teri As mad as I was I think it would have taken me all the way to jail, there are times you have to physically step away from them, they sometimes deserve a swat, they never deserve a beating!

Fantastagirl good call. Park has too many toys to know the difference is fone is missing. But he did end up going out of the yard and lying to us on top of it so all morning he swabbed the deck with me. He washed stairs, windowns and dishes. the vaccuming was comical, but just before I put him to bed I asked him if he knew why lying was wrong and he answered, a real answer. I was soooo proud

WebMiz only time time out works is when I give them to myself!

Sponge Bobber Dude, but isn;lt it nice to know I have a cop across the street? plus LOL now parker kinda has a record withthe cops LMAO
my little felon

Mr.Fab All bets are off if he brings home a mini austin or PT cruiser!

FlipFlopMommaThanks flip flop. I think ( now) what I did taught him well, but at the time I sure enjoyed reading all of your encouraging words

I am totally the worst comment response person ever ! I am always like two days late answering ANYTHING , sorry everyone!

9:15 PM, August 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home