And Life Continues

Monday, July 30, 2007

Let me begin my recount of our vacation disaster by saying this:

For almost two months we talked to the boys every day about our trip. We talked about the pool, the water slide, roasting marshmallows and seeing the stars. We took out pictures of previous trips and discussed how Blue Boy's first trip took place when he was five weeks old.

Once a year, my husbands company has a two week shut down for maintenance on the building and other such things, and each year we take that time to go camping somewhere, even if it is for only a night.

The children look forward to having mom and dad be un-distracted by game systems and the internet, And we look forward to a relaxing few days with just the kids and nothing else.

Some of you have said that camping is no vacation, but to us, If we were given the choice of camping under the stars and going to bed with dirty,dusty feet and bellies full of marshmallows or a five star resort, we would pick camping with no hesitation.

Seeing my boys faces when we had to tell them we had to pack up and leave, watching Rainbow Man's lip quiver as he tried to hold in tears. Hearing him apologize to me that the camping trip was a bust over and over again, becuase he knew we were looking so forward to it, it broke my freaking heart.

Reading yesterdays comments made me realize there are way worse things that can happen then what we dealt with, but I am still upset and I won't apologize for it to anyone.

I don't care if some of you decide to email me and accuse me of being melodramatic and blowing things out of proportion. To US, it IS a big deal.

Stuff that in your pipe and smoke it!

Thursday night we went to the city and picked up BFF Kissy and her trailer. Friday, The husband started work at fiveAM and Kissy and I packed the gear. The boys are hyper excited.

Finally, after such a long long wait, we were going.

We missed our turn off and The husband and Kissy had a great time laughing and threatening me with Valium. I'm not a very good passenger! When we finally realized we were going the wrong way, we had added a full hour to our trip and ended up at the Park Gates at about four thirty. Life was good.

And then the car stalled and would not start.

Temperatures ranged in the 100f mark, and all of the water and what-not was buried in the trunk of the car. The kids were very hot, over-excited and very hot. It was also very hot.

We assumed that the car overheated, and let it rest for ten minutes that turned into almost an hour. Have I mentioned that the car was hot?

It took us another hour to go the two miles from the gate to the park office where you pay for the site. We had to stop quite a few times to let the car cool.

During all of this time, we watched person after person pass us and get their site. By the time we arrived, all of the electric, and non electric sites were full.

No matter. Last time we were here, Overflow was the same as a non electric site, minus the trees for privacy.

Unfortunately, The Provincial park had change things since we had been there last.

Over flow was now a large field beside a swamp. No fire pits, no picnic tables, no washrooms, nothing.

So there we sit, a car we cannot trust, it's hotter than hades outside, and we don't know what to do. We are also a little confused. Why would they put us in overflow when twenty feet to our left is whats called group camping. Its a big field, just like over flow, but each site has a fire pit. And it's empty.

With out the fire, you have no food and you have no heat. You have no reason to sit up with sleepy eyed children on your knee talking about anything and everything. Camping and fire go hand in hand.

We sat there, unsure of what to do, and finally decided we should set up the tent and trailer. Make the best of it, though God only knows how we are going to feed the kids.

And thats when the little park worker drove up in her golf cart and invited the family next to us (the only other people in overflow) to move to the group camping site. She stops by us, and we were expecting her to tell us the same thing, instead, she asks how we are (fucking DUH - Horrible!) We asked if we could move like the other family and she told us that they are not allowed to let people move.

When we said but you just let them, she looked blank and said, "but I can't let people move to group camping, its the rules".

So. Now we are mad, but what can we do right? We continue to set up camp talking about how we are going to get the trailer and BFF Kissy home by Sunday - she had to be back at work for Monday.

We can't pull the trailer with the car and risk being stuck on the side of the highway in the heat. We ended up calling around, and got a hold of BFF Kissy's mom. Only, the only night she was able to pick up the trailer was that night.

Decision time. Do we stay or do we go? Leaving then means the kids are upset, but if we stay, how do we feed them? Sure we packed snacks, but I was not going to let the children eat chips for three days! Also. If we leave now, we have someone to follow us home so we don't have to worry about three kids in a hot car and a deserted highway.

Stay and no food and no safe way home. Or leave.

We chose to leave.

Labels:

22 Comments:

Blogger Sheila said...

Although it does absolutely suck that you had to make the choice, I think you did the right thing. There was no need to stay and be miserable and afraid of breaking down on the way home.

I am sorry, though. Maybe the kids can camp out in the back yard? I loved doing that as a kid...

12:35 AM, July 31, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Sheila. You did the right thing.

And I think if I were you, I'd be spitting nails at that park worker. You don't have to apologize for being upset. There is no one more focused than a mother whose children have had their hopes dashed.

About dealing with the park worker... I have an idea that resulted from several things that happened to us this past week, that might also benefit you. I'll try have it up tomorrow.

But hey.. here's another idea? Have you ever checked out if there's overnight camping allowed at Valley Regional Park? It's that one on the way to Rosthern. You could zip across the highway and head over there as an alternate plan. A one nighter on a weekend might make up (to the kids) for this?

1:48 AM, July 31, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a horrible trip. I'd be devastated. Heck, I'm devastated FOR you.

We loved camping "in our younger days." Except the one time when the kids broke out with Chicken Pox. Yeah. That kinda sucked too.

You did the right thing. Someday you'll laugh at this. Maybe not for a century or two. But someday.

2:20 AM, July 31, 2007  
Blogger The Ferryman said...

We talked about this a couple of days ago and I am STILL bummed out for you guys.

3:25 AM, July 31, 2007  
Blogger Not a Granny said...

This really sucks! It is really hard when you have made plans, gotten everyone's hearts set on something, to have them blow up. Even harder when it is your children being disappointed.

I dont' think anyone was trying to upstage you yesterday (I know I wasn't) worst vacations stories are like...worst honeymoon stories..they can be funny, but not when our kids hearts are being broken!

3:59 AM, July 31, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW,sweetie that totally sucks.I think Shiela has a point. Camp in the yard. Too hot? How about in the house? I've done both. My kids are grown and they laugh at the "worsts" (birthday, vacation, trip to the hospital) It will be part of your "life story".But right now I know it's hard!

5:25 AM, July 31, 2007  
Blogger me said...

awww...i think the hardest thing is you kow how disappointed the kids are. Maybe you can make it up to them with another small trip while your husband is still off. sorry that sucks

6:44 AM, July 31, 2007  
Blogger Lynda said...

I don't think anyone should be emailing you and telling you you are being melodramatic. You are entitled to your feelings.

I am sorry your camping trip didn't work out. That really sucks. I am not a big fan of camping, but we use to go when I was a kids, and it was usually a good time. That park ranger was way out of line.

Sorry about your car, too.

7:45 AM, July 31, 2007  
Blogger Marilyn said...

Oh man... I'd be so mad. People have the teensiest bit of power and they get all stupid with it.

7:54 AM, July 31, 2007  
Blogger janjan0000 said...

After all the build-up and anticipation, I would've been pissed too.
What was her problem? Did you report her to anybody? Sure is weird that she moved them and not you guys, right in front of your face.
I'd be firing off a few letters.

8:38 AM, July 31, 2007  
Blogger Megan said...

That just sucks. And you're not being melodramatic -- you're allowed to be disappointed because it happened to YOU. It's YOUR thing. Everyone else can just piss off.

Plus, disappointing the kids? That's like the worst thing ever to a parent. xoxo

9:07 AM, July 31, 2007  
Blogger Monkee said...

When I was a kid, my large extended family use to make group trips into the moutains in California to go camping. One year, on our way up into the mountains, we were stopped by a highway patrol road block. They told us that it was snowing too much for them to let anyone continue along the mountain road and we would just have to turn around and go back. We all pulled over and talked about what to do. Of course, my brother and I and all of our cousins were very upset. The parents all talked together and came back with an idea. They offered to let all of us kids have a giant slumber party that night at my parents house. Needless to say, we quickly forgot about the camping and were only too excited to get home. That night is now one of my favorite memories.

I don't think the boys will remember this as being as bad as all that. While I certainly agree that the whole thing sucked giant hairy goat testicles and hope that park ranger gets trampled by a rampaging moose, if it makes you feel better, in the end, I'll bet they were just happy to be doing something - anything - with you.

There's moose up there, right?

10:10 AM, July 31, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a horrible story! I hate, hate, hate car trouble especially on a vacation! Something like this happened to my parents and us kids when I was about 9yrs old. Poor kiddos! (((HUGS)))

12:23 PM, July 31, 2007  
Blogger Violet said...

What a huge disappointment... What is that thing they say about 'everything that can go wrong, will,' or whatever? i'm sure the kids were disappointed, but don't blame yourself. the circumstances were out of your control.

12:23 PM, July 31, 2007  
Blogger Avitable said...

That doesn't sound like overreacting at all.

Most of the places I've been camping allow people to reserve a site - if that's available, you should do that next time.

I think you did the right thing. Next time will be awesome.

2:34 PM, July 31, 2007  
Blogger Fantastagirl said...

I think you had to make that choice, sucks, but I think it was the right choice.

5:36 PM, July 31, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melodramtic?? You are far from that, seriously. You and yours has every right to be upset about your one and only "escape" of the year. I know I would be.

Too bad you didn't have a mechanic for a hubby, Big Daddy's family went on vacation when he was much younger and his Dad ended up spending his vacation fixing the car in the camp site.

Are you guys free this weekend??? Why don't we all do something fun???

6:05 PM, July 31, 2007  
Blogger Bluepaintred said...

Sheila We took them to a pool with a water slide in the city the next day, and we have plans - but I 'want to jinx myself

Fracas Heh. Where I grew up was ten minutes from Rostern, so I have been there. My granny was telling me that Rosthern has a big pool now, know anything about that?

Teebopop Yea, we are a camping loving family, and eventually it will be alright. Maybe as soon as next week!

Mr. Fab Somehow the thought of your bum still doesn't cheer me up. LMAO

Not A Granny nono. Yesterdays stories made me feel better, it was the asshole who emailed me telling me to be grateful my family can go camping and blah blah blah.

MetalMom well we have already camped in the yard, but the tent is too big to set up in side the house LOL

Me yeah. that was harsh. but i have a plan in the works to make up for it. but it is top secret!

Lynda the car turned out to be something called vapor lock? its fine now.

Marilyn S'ok. I called and complained and I was not the first person to complain about the same thing, so they are gonna give her shit. or something.

J. Im not sure why she would move them right in front of us and then say we cant move, but i did complain and I got results, so that's good.

Finn our big thing at homeis we do not lie to them. if we are not sure we dont say anything, so when my three year old says "you tell me i sweep ina tent! you bad! Lie is bad mommy" while crying, its really hard to deal with that.

Monkee yes. we are a moose friendly country lol

Squirrel Oh. Well I hate car trouble at any time lol

Violet have you any idea how exciting it is that two of "my blogs" are getting married AND having a baby??? thats awesome!

Avitable well i guess i deserved it since i had long coveted hate mail. But when I actually get hate mail? It's different loL

Fantastagirl I hate making choices like that, but really. no food and three kids doesn't quite mix..

Coffee Mom I don't think we have plans. call me

7:48 PM, July 31, 2007  
Blogger Shelli said...

That just sucks. I would take the hotel over the camping, but if I was told that I had to sleep in the lobby because there were no rooms, I would go home, too. That is, in essence, what you were told. I think they were completely shitty to you and I think that you should complain until something is done about it. I actually think that you were discriminated against. It's wrong!

9:38 PM, July 31, 2007  
Blogger Sheila said...

But, Blue, I thought you were coming to Trish's baby shower this weekend!! I thought we talked about it...

hehehe!

9:38 PM, July 31, 2007  
Blogger Avitable said...

I'm confused! I'm not giving you hate mail.

4:55 AM, August 01, 2007  
Blogger Tenacious B said...

I understand. Totally. Worst part is that the next time you guys want to take the anklebiters camping, they may not want to go. Honestly, I would have moved to the group site on my own. What're they going to do? Bounce you out?

I feel your pain. and the mosquito bites

11:50 AM, August 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home