The Day Logan Got Stuck

Monday, June 05, 2006

It has almost been one year since this photo was taken! In some ways it seems like it was forever ago, and in other ways, if feels like it was just last week. In light of the recent comments I have gotten I thought I would post this a few weeks early. I was originally going to post this on the 21st of the month, exactly one year to the day later!

Logan LIKES food... a lot, in fact in the almost two years since we got him from the pound we have only found one thing he does not like: seafood.

I am one of those moms who think a bit of extra meat on a baby is great, if they get sick, they have lots of reserves!
In this photo, Logan is 6 days away from turning one year old, and weighed approximately 20 lbs. What you are looking at is the base of our fancy glass and iron table. It seats four, Obviously we bought it after our decision to stop at two kids LOL . When logan was smaller he would crawl and climb all over the bars of the base. He liked to step into the hole in the center. This time he sat down.

I was on the phone with a friend when i noticed Logan was quiet, which never happens so I got up to investigate... I snapped these photos before i tried to get him out.. in fact I thought it was the cutest thing! After realizing I wouldn't be able to get him out quite as easily as I thought, I hung up the phone and started tugging. I tried butter and baby oil, i tried lifting him up and pulling him under. i tried with the diaper off. After about 45 minutes of trying, i got worried and phoned my dad, who is a firefighter... But lives out of town.... He told me I had no choice but to call 911..

Oh as if! 911 is for emergencies, car accidents, heart attacks, babies being born at the side of the road .. NOT a stuck butter ball turkey! My dad assured me that a baby stuck was an emergency.. so I called. I fell i was pretty in control of myself emotionally when I was trying to deal with it on my own. but the moment the lady answered the phone with 911 ~ how may I help you. I started blubbering, like a baby. I said " my baby is stuck in my table and you have to get him out!"
she asked me to repeat myself.. which I did.. after she understood I was serious , she asked for all the pertinent info. where did we live, how old is he, can he breath ok...

It seemed like four hours, but was only 2.5 minutes ( we used to live just down the block from a fire station) a fire truck , sirens on , pulls up to our place!

Five fire fighters hope out ( three are deathly cute and I haven't done my hair, gotten dressed, and my house is a mess)

I actually appreciate that only one of the five burst out laughing out loud when they walked in and saw Logan, who by now has bruising on his sides and back from my efforts and his own struggles. I had been feeding my 11 month old chocolate chips I won The Horrible Mother of the Year award for that ! to try to keep him from struggling any more!

After talk of cutting the table in pieces ( I did not care if they took it to the junk heap !~! Just Get My Baby OUT) The oldest of the fire fighters said, wait, lets try to lift the table, four of them lifted it, while the fifth went underneath to grab Logan. I had greased Logan so much that when the table was high nuff , he went up so fast his poor little head got smacked on the table top!

Filling out all of the paper work afterward , one of the firemen brought Logan a teddy bear.. I was concentrating on the one asking the questions,
not the baby and the man with the bear got down just in time to prevent Logan from sitting back in the hole!

After they left, I securely covered the hole with duct tape.

I took this photo to my computer, added a
Thank You to the fire department and mailed it off to them! I often wonder if Fire Departments have a bulletin board like doctors offices, and if Logan's photo Is up there still. If the men who came to help out laughed about it during dinner with their wives and kids.

For the hour and a half that we went through this, it was NOT funny.
For a day or so after it was more embarrassing then anything,
Now its hilarious and will be a great story for when he gets married!

6 Comments:

Blogger BlondeBlogger said...

Awww....poor Logan!!! Typical boy, though. My son got wedged into my daughter's dollhouse at that age, but luckily my husband was able to get him out.

Another time, he was in his walker, and then all of a sudden I heard this echoing cry.

The walker was empty, and Matthew was head first in an empty plant pot (one of those big ones you can put fish in) with his feet sticking straight up in the air!

2:32 PM, June 05, 2006  
Blogger Bluepaintred said...

OMG thats sooooo funny expecially the pot part, i can jsut picture it LOL, i hope you got photos of it!

2:41 PM, June 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is f u n n y!!! and he was sooo cute!

3:06 PM, June 05, 2006  
Blogger Catch said...

lol...what an experience!
im so glad he was ok....but he looks so cute sitting there with those adorable chubby little legs!

5:29 PM, June 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Logan is tooooo cute! My son repeatedly got stuck between the seat and the back of our kitchen chairs. He would kneel on the chair and then just slip his feet back until he was stuck. He thought it was terribly funny, but as he got bigger and bigger it got harder and harder to get him out.

5:54 PM, June 05, 2006  
Blogger Bluepaintred said...

lol im gettingthe feeling htat lots of kids get stuck in lots of different things... catch : it was the chubby bottom half that made him get so so stuck!

Nohe 5 : At first Logan and I found it super funny but as time went on and I could not get him out, i was resorted to pure bribary ( choc, chips) just to keep him still so he wouldnt get more hurt!

6:46 PM, June 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home